- 1.5kg (3 lb) boneless, skinless chicken meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 (500g) tubs chicken stock, such as Joubere
- 100g (4 oz) unsmoked lardons or chopped bacon
- 4 tablespoons long grain white rice
- 1 tomato – peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 to 2 carrots, chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Prep:20min › Cook:1hr30min › Ready in:1hr50min
- To a large saucepan, add the chicken, onion and stock. Bring to a simmer, and cover. Cook over low heat until the chicken is tender, about 45 minutes. Lift the chicken out onto a platter, and set aside.
- Strain the stock through a sieve set over a bowl. Discard the solids, and skim off as much fat as possible from stock.
- Rinse out the saucepan, and fry the lardons over medium heat. Do not brown. Drain any excess fat.
- Return the stock to the saucepan with the lardons. Add the rice, tomatoes and carrots. Season with salt and black pepper to taste. Bring to a simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, cut it into strips. Return the chicken to the soup, and cook just long enough to heat through. Add the parsley, and serve.