- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets – cut into thin strips
- 5 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 125ml soy sauce, divided
- 300ml chicken stock
- 250ml water
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 350g uncooked linguine pasta
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh root ginger
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 250g fresh shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 6 spring onions, sliced diagonally into 1cm pieces
Prep:45min › Cook:30min › Extra time:1hr › Ready in:2hr15min
- In a medium, non-reactive bowl, combine the chicken with 2 1/2 teaspoons of sugar, 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar and 1/2 of the soy sauce. Mix this together and coat the chicken well. Cover and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- In another medium bowl, combine the chicken stock, water, sesame oil and ground black pepper with the remaining sugar, vinegar and soy sauce. In a separate small bowl, dissolve the cornflour with some of this mixture and slowly add to the bulk of the mixture, stirring well. Set aside.
- Cook the linguine according to packet directions, drain and set aside. Heat 1 tablespoon of the vegetable oil in a wok or large saucepan over high heat until it starts to smoke. Add the chicken and stir fry for 4 to 5 minutes, or until browned. Transfer this and all juices to a warm plate.
- Heat the remaining vegetable oil in the wok or pan over high heat. Add the ginger, garlic, mushrooms and spring onions, and stir fry for 30 seconds. Add the reserved sauce mixture and then the chicken. Simmer until the sauce begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Add the reserved noodles and toss gently, coating everything well with the sauce.