- 4-6 lamb shanks (approx 1.5kg).
- 1 large ( 200g) brown onion, chopped.
- 2 large (400g) carrots, chopped into 2 cm chunks.
- 3 stalks celery, chopped into 2 cm chunks (reserve the leaves, chopped).
- 1 large (500g) sweet potato, chopped into 2cm chunks.
- 6 baby new potatoes, halved.
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed.
- 1 cup chicken stock.
- 1/2 cup white wine (or chicken stock).
- a dash of apple cider vinegar.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme.
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 1 tablespoon chopped preserved lemon, or juice of 2 lemons.
- 3/4 bunches fresh flat leaf parsley, very finely chopped.
- 6-8 cloves garlic, very finely chopped.
- grated zest and juice of 2 lemons, or 2 tbs chopped preserved lemon.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon sea salt.
- 1. Place onion, carrot, celery and potatoes in the slow-cooker. Arrange the shanks on top then add the remaining ingredients (except the celery leaves) over the lot.
2. Stir a little (no need to mix completely). Put on the lid then cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low. In the final 20 minutes, add the celery leaves.
3. Make the gremolata by combining all ingredients in a jar.
4. Once you are ready to serve, remove the shanks and pull the meat from the bones, then return the shredded meat to the pot. Turn slow cooker on high and allow meat to absorb the liquid for 15 minutes.
5. Serve between 6 bowls with a tablespoon of Lemony Gremolata.