- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or butter.
- 2 teaspoons paprika.
- 1 white onion, finely sliced.
- pinch of sea salt.
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced.
- 1 x 400g can chickpeas, drained.
- 200 g diced tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée.
- 2 sprigs thyme.
- 2 lamb shanks.
- fresh coriander and natural yoghurt, to serve.
- 1. Set your slow cooker to low, or preheat the oven to 130°C/250°F/ Gas mark ½.
2. Heat 1 tablespoon coconut oil or butter in a large pot for 1 minute with the paprika, over a medium to high heat. Add the onion along with a pinch of salt, and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the chilli and cook for a further minute. Toss the drained chickpeas in and cook, stirring, for another minute. Add the tomatoes, tomato purée and thyme, and let everything cook for 5 minutes more.
3. In a large frying pan, heat the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil or butter for 1 minute over a high heat. Add the lamb shanks, and brown them all over for 1 minute, then throw them into the tomato and chickpea mixture.
4. If slow cooking – put everything in the slow cooker for 4 hours. If cooking in the oven – put the pot in the oven with the lid on for 4 hours. The meat should fall of the bone when it is ready. Serve with fresh coriander and dollops of yoghurt.