- Prep: 25 mins
Cook: 35 mins
- Serves 4
- More effort
Nutrition per serving
Saturated Fat 40
- 50g butter, plus extra for greasing
- 25g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200ml milk
- 300g leftover hard cheese, cut into chunks
- 100ml double cream or crème fraîche
- 4 eggs, separated
- grating of nutmeg
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 110g bag salad leaves
- 100g leftover blue or goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 50g leftover shelled nuts
- 1 pear, sliced
- 3 tbsp salad dessing (use your favourite), to serve
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Melt all the butter in a saucepan. Brush a 20cm soufflé dish with a little of it, then dust with flour. In the saucepan, stir the flour into the rest of the melted butter, then sizzle everything for 1 min. Gradually pour in the milk to make a white sauce, then add two-thirds of the cheese and carry on cooking to melt. Leave to cool slightly, then mix in the remaining cheese, the cream or crème fraîche and the egg yolks. Season, then add the nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
- In a clean bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold into the cheese sauce, then carefully tip into the soufflé dish. Bake the soufflé for 25 mins until puffed up and golden.
- While the soufflé is cooking, toss the salad ingredients together. Once the soufflé is cooked, dress the salad and serve alongside.